Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Best and Worst of Sonic

Someone who read my previous post asked me what I think were the worst Sonic games of all time. I not gonna just lay into more, though. Because I am in such a caring mood, I will list the best Sonic games too. Forgive me for not having pictures.

#5. SONIC 3D BLAST - SEGA GENESIS AND SATURN
This was just downright horrible. It didn't even feel like a Sonic game. There was no speed, no platforming, and barely any loop de loop. The controls sucked balls and the overall gameplay was confusing. You go around this fake 3D world which really looks like a piece of folded paper looking for birds. Why? I don't know, and I don't care. I turned the game off after the first level.

#4. SONIC SHUFFLE - DREAMCAST
If you're gonna rip off Mario, do it right Sega. Sonic Shuffle takes the formula of Mario Party and turns the suck knob to 11. The mini-games were so boring. I guess the best way to describe it would be Mario Party 8 with Sonic. What makes it worse is that I didn't even play the game. I saw the gameplay footage and said "I'm done!" That is pretty fuckin sad.

#3. SONIC THE HEDGEHOG - XBOX 360 and PLAYSTATION 3
Bad controls, bad story, bad level design, and a bad case of beastiality. Need I say more (please don't make me).

#2. SONIC THE FIGHTERS - GEMS COLLECTIONS FOR GAMECUBE
I say Gems Collections (which had a bunch of rarely played Sonic games) because I have no idea where it originated from. Actually, I know it was in the arcades in Japan, but I don't know if it was released in America before the collection. Either way, the game sucked balls. I once told Neil that it was good for it's time, but then I played other fighting games during that time. Pretty much shitted over that statement.

#1. SONIC....WE'LL SAVE THAT FOR LATER

Yea, we're gonna save the worst Sonic game ever till the end of the post. Now is our list for the best Sonic games.

#5. SONIC HEROES - PS2, XBOX, GAMECUBE, and PC
I have many complaints about this game, but in terms of gameplay, this is the best 3D Sonic game ever made. If Sonic Adventure didn't have all that extra shit like fishing, it would be #5 instead of Heroes. Plus, this was the first time Sonic became available to everybody.

#4. SONIC THE HEDGEHOG - GENESIS
Of course the first game ever makes the list. I don't know what 'blast processing' means, but back in the day, all I knew is that it made Sonic awesome. Unless your Genesis had a copy of Sonic 2 with it, there was no reason to not have this game.

#3. SONIC ADVANCE 3 - GAMEBOY ADVANCE
The Sonic Advance series stuck to it's roots while adding slightly new features like grinding on rails. Sonic Advance 3 was clearly the best in the series because you had a partner who can help you reach places if you wanted to. I was tempted to put Sonic Rush in this spot, but that game (as awesome as it is) was too kiddy. We're talking Sonic Heroes kiddy. Thankfully, they didn't really talk in Sonic Advance so kudos.

#2. SONIC AND KNUCKLES - GENESIS
"NO FREAKIN WAY! I GET TO PLAY AS KNUCKLES!" Those were the first 2 sentences I said when I got my copy of Sonic and Knuckles. Not only was it a stand alone game (which was awesome), you could put in Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 in the SaK cartridge and play those games as Knuckles. It was the best thing ever.

#1. SONIC CD - SEGA CD
Arguably the best Sonic game ever made. Sadly, it was made for Sega CD so nobody but the hardcore played it. It was everything that made Sonic great, plus it had time traveling. If you go through a gate, you have to run fast enough to either warp to the past or the future depending on which gate you went through. Every time you changed time periods, the background, music, and even the course layout changed to a certain degree. If it's not the best, it's definitely the most inventive. Trying to unlock the true ending though is a bitch. It's the only Sonic game I've ever own that I couldn't get the true ending. If you have a Gamecube or Wii, look for the Sonic Gems Collection if you wanna play it. That game alone is worth it.

Here are some honorable mentions for the worst list:

SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG - PS2, XBOX, AND (for all I know) GAMECUBE
Technically it's not a SONIC game, but it was a fuckin horrible game in the Sonic universe. Still, not Sonic so not on the list.

KNUCKLES CHAOTIX - SEGA 32X
Again, not Sonic.

SONIC SPINBALL - GENESIS
A lot of people hated that game, but I liked it. Sure it was hard as fuck, but still...

SONIC UNLEASHED - XBOX 360 AND PS3
The running stages fuckin saved it's ass from the worst list, but it's still in my hall of shame for Xbox 360

SONIC AND THE BLACK KNIGHT - WII
Didn't play it, so I can't call it. Probably deserves a spot on the list though. The gameplay footage didn't tell me much, so I can't call it like I did with Sonic Shuffle.

DR. ROBOTNIK'S MEAN BEAN MACHINE - GENESIS
Another Mario ripoff (Dr. Mario), but it wasn't that bad.

SONIC RIDERS - PS2, XBOX, GAMECUBE, AND PC
It's not bad enough.

And now, for the worst game in Sonic history:

#1. SONIC R - SEGA SATURN
You would think a Sonic racing would be the shit, but oh my god, it is the worst thing I have ever played. It's fuckin worst than X-Blades. Yea, I said it. Sonic moves slower than fuckin Mario, and that in of itself ruins the game. Do they stop there? FUCK NO! There had to fuck it up more. The track design is just shit; absolute shit, and there's only 5 of them. How many good racing games do you know have only 5 tracks? In fact, how many shitty ones do you know have only 5 tracks? To make matters worse (OMG it gets worse), you have to go off the path to look for tokens and chaos emeralds in ordere to unlock stuff, but everything you collected will be taken away from you if you don't win the race. So I have to leave the race, find shit, then get back into the race and win? FUCK THAT! And what's up with the fuckin music? Now, I like the singer, but this music does not belong. In fact, this may be the worst music I have ever heard in a Sonic game period. Nothing I can say can really describe how bad this is. You have to see it youself. Watch.





NOTE: I'm tired of beating up on Sonic.

No comments:

Post a Comment