Sunday, June 13, 2010

Mystery Mortal Kombat Movie

Try saying that title 3 times fast. Mystery Mortal Kombat Movie. Mystery Mortal Kombee Momie, Mytly Moo moo moo moo moo moo. Yea I can't do it. Anyway, last week Neil sent me a link to probably one of the most kick-ass 8-minute piece of cinema I've ever seen on youtube. Just watch:



This video is approaching 4 million views, and that number is just gonna get even higher (ridiculously so), and yet nobody knows what this video is for. It just shown up out of nowhere. Not even the actors themselves know what it's for. The guy who plays Jax (Jackson Briggs-the black guy for those who don't play Mortal Kombat) thinks its for a game. That would make sense seeing as how this clip was released before E3, the biggest event in video gaming, but many are convinced that its for a movie. So, which one is it? My belief was that this is for the video game since, again, it was released so closed to E3, but then while doing research on upcoming titles that will be on display at E3, I came across this:



Looks completely different doesn't it. Some people still believe it's to hype up the video game, but that doesn't sense. The characters in the video all have detailed backstories - well as detail as 8 minutes will allow - and it barely has any supernatural elements (the only instance being Scorpion's eyes). The game shows everything we know, love, and come to expect from MK (with some new stuff thrown in), while this movie takes all of that and completely fucks with it. So no, it can't be for the game, and if it is, it is fuckin confusing and nonsensical. I don't think Warner Bros. is that dumb. So it looked like it would probably be for the movie, and I was will to call this one mission accomplish, but then I did some more research and found something interesting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293429/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293429/news#ni2841368

So from what I can gather, this isn't a trailer for the movie; it's to show the people in charge that they can make a movie. It's a power move that they are hoping will pay dividends. I don't think this will work seeing as how Threshold Entertainment is going through hell to prevent it. Maybe I'm misinterpreting this website severely, or maybe the website is completely wrong (like how wikipedia posted WWE's Undertaker's is in a vegetative state when he's actually just taking time off to recover from injury and that's the storyline they went with), but that's the way it looks to me. Either way, this is probably the best shit ever! Okay, I'm being way too dramatic, but whoever wrote this, I have to give him some serious credit. He/she/they did in 8 minutes what couldn't be done in 2 fuckin movies. Based on everything that has transpired, this movie deserves to be made; I don't care that he/she/they butchered the main MK storyline.

If there's one thing I do know, it's that many (and I mean MANY) MK fans are fuckin thrilled that it has nothing to do with the video game.

No comments:

Post a Comment